On January 2, 2018, I had a big goal.
I was going to put a note of gratitude in my Happiness/Gratitude Jar every day
and for a while there it was going really well, and then at the end of May, my husband got a blood clot (he is fine but it has caused some problems and a resulting surgery to correct) so I got a little ungrateful and unhappy. Then the first week in June, I got pneumonia and I got a little more ungrateful so I didn’t add anything to the jar. Finally in June, My daughter got Hand, Foot, and Mouth and I got plain mad and wasn’t even trying to be grateful. I also had a few other setbacks and things that just didn’t go my way, so I stopped doing the exercise of remembering to be grateful.
It was something that my good friend fellow writer, Juante Dailey brought to my attention when I was at the zenith of my ungratefulness and she noticed.
It was pretty hard not to notice.
I have named this, BMW’ing (Bellyaching, Moaning, and Whining) and she had me start a gratitude list that I send her every day and I have to say after doing this a while, (approximately 3 months) I recovered my sense of joie de vivre and started feeling gratitude again and I have even suggested it to a few other friends who are struggling to find the “happy” and they have told me it is helping.
I have also renewed my effort with the jar. Starting tonight, I will ask my husband what his “Happy” is for the day and add it to the jar.
I love acronyms so Another way to put it (thanks Aunt Nancy) is A-G-E
-1. What did I Accomplish Today? (A)
2. What do I feel Grateful for Today? (G)
3. What Did I Enjoy Today? (E)
I thought it was appropriate and authentic as we head into this week of Thanksgiving to talk about things we are grateful for and I wanted to publicly thank Juante by sharing this awesome idea and give you my list of things I am grateful for today.
- I am grateful to God.
- I am grateful for my husband.
- I am grateful for my daughter. (see visual aid below)
- I am grateful to be alive and healthy.
- I am grateful to have many friends who will tell me the truth even when it’s not something I want to hear.
- I am grateful to have readers for this blog. *that means YOU*
- I am grateful to have family of choice and origin who I love.
- I am grateful to have clean drinking water.
- I am grateful to have a job I am good at and enjoy doing.
- I am grateful to live in a country where I am allowed to write about things that matter to me.
- I am grateful for other people and the ability to connect.
- I am grateful for foamy soap.
- I am grateful for rock star parking.
- I am grateful for technology.
- I am grateful for writing that inspires me to write better.
- I am grateful for songs that make me want to dance like no one is watching.
- I am grateful for movies that make me laugh and cry and everything in between.
- I am grateful to people who are engaged in the conversation to be better leaders.
- I am grateful for milk chocolate.
- I am grateful for meditation.
By the way, there is NO wrong way to do a list of gratitude. You can text it, you can write it and drop it in a jar. You can tell someone else. You can tell yourself. Don’t get hemmed in by worry that you are doing it “wrong”. There is no wrong in gratitude.
My first few were a rambling mess of the things I was mad about and just one or two things I was grateful for and then it grew.
What do you need to express gratitude for today? Do you have someone who can help you be accountable for being grateful?
Are you driving the BMW? (Bellyaching, Moaning and Whining) or are you driving the ROLLS? (Real Ongoing Life Lived Superbly) ?
Think About It…